This summer, why not wow dinner and BBQ guests with a healthier than average dessert featuring fresh, seasonal ingredients? Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is a summer classic, perfect for any party.
I bet you can’t guess my favorite aspect of this sweet treat: it’s loaded with a nutrient-dense vegetable! Okay, so maybe you could have guessed I would like that part.
Rhubarb is a surprising source of calcium–just one cup has 10% of your RDA–and beauty-boosting nutrients like lutein, vitamin K, and antioxidants. Who doesn’t need a little extra help with healthy skin in the summer? All that heat, humidity, and sunshine can do a number on our most exposed organ.
Ok, first, please drool over this picture then scroll down for the recipe…
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- 1 Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- 1 pint strawberries
- 4-5 stalks rhubarb
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- Splash of sweet vinegar (white balsamic or fruit-flavored of choice)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Prepare one Gluten-Free Pie Crust (or cheat a little and get one pre-made).
- Pre-heat oven to 425 F.
- Wash and cut strawberries and rhubarb into bite-sized pieces. Place in a large bowl and mix with sugar, arrowroot (or cornstarch if you aren’t gluten-free), vinegar, and salt. Mix thoroughly and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Press pie crust into your favorite nonstick tart or pie dish. Fill crust with fruit and vegetable mixture, spreading evenly.
- Bake at 425 F for 30 min then reduce to 350 F and bake another 20-25 minutes or until crust edges are golden brown.
Top with a scoop of your favorite ice cream. I went with Moorenko‘s creamy, delicious Vanilla Bean variety. YUM-E.