As a nutrition coach I’m often asked what are some of my go-to meals that are (A) healthy, and (B) quick. My response is almost always, yadda yadda yadda and “top it with an egg.” Ok, so I realize that’s not exactly helpful but it’s really that simple. Pinky swear.
For example, one of my favorite dinners when I get home late from teaching at the studio is a small bowl of leftover roasted vegetables (think carrots, turnips, beets, sweet potatoes, onions, etc) topped with an over-easy egg; or, if I’m feeling fancy, a poached egg with some fresh herbs on top. The egg white serves as a filling protein and its yolk acts as an oozy, delicious sauce to richly coat the veggies and bring the dish together.
You can pretty much top any combination of raw or roasted vegetables, fresh or sautéed greens, herbs, homemade spreads, whole grains, and/or cheeses with an egg for a healthy, satisfying meal in under 10 minutes. Look in your fridge right now and give it a try. I dare you!
I put this theory to the test while down here in Florida for a little R&R with my itinerant roomie who is currently co-habitating with another grown male. Not surprisingly, their refrigerator looked like a bachelor’s when I first arrived. All that seemed edible was a carton of eggs and a half-used log of fresh goat cheese.
I thought to myself, I can work with this.
A quick trip to Publix and I was fully stocked thanks to their house-made jalapeno-cilantro hummus, some roasted red peppers, and a bag of baby arugula. I’d already brought down some of my homemade sourdough (thanks Caroline and Karen for the starter!) so I was good to go with just those few simple ingredients.
In no time, I was enjoying my simple sandwich in balmy 78 degree weather on their screen porch. It was a nice recovery meal after my morning run by Spacecoast Stadium and kept me full for my afternoon at the beach. Yes, I realize this is cruel torture for all my DC readers. Sending you sun and heat and love <3.
Amy’s Open-Faced Egg Sandwich on Sourdough
- 1 thick slice (good, hand-made) Sourdough Bread
- 1 oz Goat Cheese
- 2 Tbs Roasted Red Pepper Slices (enough to cover a piece of toast)
- 1 small handful Arugula
- 2 Tbs Hummus of choice
- 1/2 tsp Organic Butter
- 1 Egg
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs fresh Cilantro (optional)
- Toast one thick slice of sourdough bread (or substitute any whole grain bread you like).
- While that’s toasting, heat a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Turn down to medium and add 1/2 tsp butter to pan. Crack an egg into the pan and cook until egg white turns opaque. Flip and cook another 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- White the egg is cooking, spread toast with a thin smear of goat cheese; layer on your roasted red pepper; pile arugula on top and don’t worry if it spills over; add two heaping spoonfuls of hummus and spread it around to the best of your abilities.
- Finally, la piece de resistance, top with an egg. Add a sprinkle of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and even some fresh herbs if you’re feeling fancy!