Though I’ve made a number of kale salads in my time, I have to say this is my best kale salad yet. Let’s get real here–I eat kale raw. I’m talking fresh out of the garden. I realize, however, not everyone is as crazy for kale as me.
The best way to make kale a crowd pleaser is to dress it up. The Honey-Chipotle Dressing I created for this kale salad is sweet, smoky goodness. It was a great complement to the grilled skirt steak I made to go alongside it, and even better the next day as my lunch at work (I added a piece of grilled salmon–mmm mmm). And as you’ve learned from my Kale Caesar Salad, Honey-Ginger Kale with Carrots, and Sweet Sesame Raw Kale Salad posts, this supergreen is an excellent source of vitamins A and K, calcium, and disease-fighting antioxidants.
If you’ve never had a raw kale salad, now is the time to give it a try. It’s easy, delicious and oh-so good for you.
Kale Salad with Honey-Chipotle Dressing
What You’ll Need:
(for the dressing)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 Chili in Adobo sauce
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
(for the salad)
- 2 bunches (or about 6-8 cups chopped) kale
- 3/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Mix all salad dressing ingredients together in your blender.
- Chop, wash and dry your kale–removing any of the really thick, woody stems. Add it to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour dressing over kale and massage into the leaves for a minute, or until well coated.
- Cover and let it refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours before you plan to eat (like I said, it was great the next day!)
- When you’re ready to serve, remove it from the refrigerator and add your cranberries and almonds (goat cheese would also go well if you’re so inclined).
Big thanks to my Big Guy for being the sous-chef on this recipe!